Saturday, May 10, 2008



Ibn Hazm on
Falling In Love on First Sight


Just sharing some poetry - not to mention that photo that Niqabi is awe-and-then-some.

Against my heart mine eye designed
Great wrong, and anguish to my mind,
Which sin my spirit to requite
Hath loosed these tears against my sight.

How shall mine eye behold in fact
This justice that my tears exact,
Seeing that in their flood profound
My weeping eye is wholly drowned?

Since I had never seen her yet
I could not know her, when we met;
The final thing of her I knew
Was what I saw at that first view.

4 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a beautiful piece. and an even more skillful translation. do you know who the translator is?

jazakAllah

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Ify Okoye said...

Is this from Ring of the Dove? An excellent work, which I just had the pleasure of reading last year, hard to find in print but I found it from a seller on Amazon.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Dunia's Stranger said...

Links have been posted in above post.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaamu alaykum,

Powerful words indeed...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home