Sunday, March 14, 2010

Breaking Out of My Isolationism & 'Up in the Air'

For a long time I've been in an isolated state. Self imposed isolationism for a large part of this current decade.

I recently turned 26 and I've been thinking about the last 6 years of my 20s. I mean my 20s were suppose to be the best part of my life or one of the best parts right? Well, I've spent them alone for the most part.

I got thinking about my Isolationism because its similar to what Ryan (George Clooney) in the movie 'Up in the Air' goes through for the most part of his life. He's a successful business man who lives his life surrounded by people but distant from everyone. Watching that movie made me think about the way I've lived my life these last few years. I've really had 2-3 constant friends and have shunned social settings even though I've been surrounded by people, many people, at times.

In the end, my emptiness has caught up with me to point where its becoming an emotional/spiritual black hole consuming other aspects of my life. Thus, it has hindered my ability to function within society.

I needed to fight back and reclaim my life from this scourge of desolation. I need to break off and re-invent myself with an optimistic outlook of a person willing to take chances and try new things.

I am slowing doing that lately for the last 2 weeks. I've met and talked with people I would have ignored or shied away from in an 'old me.'

I'll keep you all updated.

:)

1 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you brother!Alhamdolilah.

I can absolutely relate to what you're saying and I had caged myself in this 'vacuum'...anyway, just realized that and honestly, I keep thinking that 10yrs down the road, I don't want to regret wasting my youth in not being able to socialize...because in the end whomsoever one meets, they become witnesses of your good character on your death and also in Akhira...inshAllah...

Like you, I've started talking with the sisters around me...and hopefully it'll work out inshAllah.

Spread the salam, shake hands, it worked for me..some ppl don't respond..then corner them. It may work. You never know.

And I said the above thing in light of a very popular hadith which I'm sure you're aware of it as well:
Prophet Mohammed (SAW) has said, "By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you of something that if you do it, you will love one another? Spread salam amongst yourselves." [Muslim, 2/35]

Also, another hadith:
On the Day of Judgement, Allah will say, "Where are those who loved one another for My Glory? Today I will shade them in My Shade on the when there is no shade but Mine." [Muslim, 16/123]

---
Just a gentle reminder to myself first and then you.

May Allah reward you for your patience and grant you companionship which pulls you into Jannatul Firdaus.Ameen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home