Tuesday, September 19, 2006


Downfall

I must say that Downfall is one of the best movies I have seen all year. It is some of the best acting I have seen in a foreign film and it blows away anything the American screen has produced. I understand that it is a controversial film since many people argue that it is symathetic to the Nazis and Hitler but I disagree.

I think Roger Ebert sums it up best:


Admiration I did not feel. Sympathy I felt in the sense that I would feel it for a rabid dog, while accepting that it must be destroyed. I do not feel the film provides "a sufficient response to what Hitler actually did," because I feel no film can, and no response would be sufficient.
As we regard this broken and pathetic Hitler, we realize that he did not alone create the Third Reich, but was the focus for a spontaneous uprising by many of the German people, fueled by racism, xenophobia, grandiosity and fear. He was skilled in the ways he exploited that feeling, and surrounded himself by gifted strategists and propagandists, but he was not a great man, simply one armed by fate to unleash unimaginable evil. It is useful to reflect that racism, xenophobia, grandiosity and fear are still with us, and the defeat of one of their manifestations does not inoculate us against others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home