Tuesday, June 14, 2011



One of My Favorite Hadiths

I just wanted to share this hadith I heard and my sister shared with via email:


The Messenger of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam said, “I was made to love three things from this world – perfume, women, and prayer.’

The companions were sitting with him and Abu Bakr RadhiAllahu anhu said, “You have spoken the truth, O Messenger of Allah! I was made to love three things from this world – looking at the face of the Messenger of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam, spending my wealth for the the Messenger of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam, and giving my daughter in marriage to the Messenger of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam.

‘Umar RadhiAllahu anhu said, “You have spoken truthfully, O Abu Bakr! I was made to love three things from this world – commanding good, forbidding evil, and worn garments.”

‘Uthman said, “You have spoken truthfully, O ‘Umar! And I was made to love three things from this world – feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and reading the Qur’an.”

‘Ali said, “You have spoken truthfully, O ‘Uthman! I was made to love three things from this world -serving the guest, fasting in summer, and fighting with the sword.”

As they were discoursing, Jibreel Alaihis Salam came and said, “Allah the Exalted sent me when He heard your discussion and has ordered you to ask me what I would have loved if I were to be from the people of this world. The Messenger of Allah SallAllahu alaihi wasallam asked, “If you were to be from the people of this world what would you have loved?”

Jibreel Alaihis Salam replied, “Guiding those led astray, keeping the company of contented strangers, and helping families afflicted with hardship.”

He continued, “The Lord of Honour loves three things from His servants – giving one’s utmost, crying when in regret, and being patient in times of poverty.”


I usually like to cite the hadith but I don't know where it's from but I'm willing to share it regardless since I've heard different scholars cite it. If anyone knows who narrated this hadith and which book of hadith contains it - please leave a response in the comments section.

7 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Umm Sulaym said...

Akhi: I really liked the hadith and I searched for its' reference but didn't find any authentic sources for the latter part of the hadith.

Seems like it was taken from Ibn Hajar Asqalani's book called 'Preparing for the Day of Judgement'. More specifically, the chapter of 'three counsels'.

You can check it out here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/18792610/Preparing-for-the-Day-of-Judgement-by-Imam-Ibn-Hajar-AlAsqalani-PDF.

Some amazing famous scholars of the past have used weak ahadith in their works. But since we don't have a chain of narrators for this hadith, we can't really identify its authenticity...which is quite a disappointment.

Gentle suggestion: Safer not to quote such ahadith (or the latter part of some ahadith)regardless of how beautiful they are because it may put you at a risk upon saying a lie upon the Prophet SAW. And Allah SWT knows best.

Stumbled upon your blog and thought I'd share. BarakAllahu fee'k.

Wasalamu alaykum,
-Umm Sulaym

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Sadiq said...

Mashallah. Thank you for sharing the beautiful of hadiths. Peace to you!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Dunia's Stranger said...

Umm Sulaym,

As I mentioned previously, I almost always cite any hadith ... this case it seems like Ibn Hajar Asqalani's book that you linked does contain the exact hadith.

If it's fabricated, I'll take it down immediately. If it's weak ... I'm inclined to leave it up and note that it is weak.

Given that Ibn Hajar, author of Fath al-Bari, might cite it - I'm thinking at it might be weak at the very least.

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaams and Jzk for sharing this. I read this hadith with slight variation in the latter part in the Tafsir of Khawja Abdullah al-Ansari (Died 481 AH) It's an amazing hadith and people like Ansari would not quote it if it was fabricated.

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous anver said...

thank you for sharing

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...


Head hunters in Bangalore
Placement Consultany in Bangalore
Serviced Apartments in Bangalore
SEO Services in Bangalore
SEO Services in India

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Digital Marketing said...

Excellent information, I like your blog.

Top 10 International News in UAE

Current Political News in UAE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home